The most important thing to know is that the major requirements of districts and schools to engage parents and families are the same in the new law, including:
- The School District must offer programs and activities to involve parents and family members, and seek meaningful consultation with parents.
- Develop with parents a written parent and family engagement policy
- Build schools’ capacity to engage families
- Evaluate its family engagement policy and practices, with meaningful input from families
- Involve families in the activities of Title I schools
- Reserve at least 1% of its grant to fund parent and family engagement activities; involve parents in deciding how to use these funds; and send 90% of this funding directly to schools.